2022 Developmental Disabilities (DD) Advocacy Weeks
The Training Alumni Association, in partnership with the Arc of Virginia, needs you to participate in Virtual Developmental Disabilities (DD) Days.
Week 1: Thursday, January 13, 2022-Thursday, January 20, 2022
Week 2: Thursday, February 10, 2022-Thursday, February 17, 2022
TAA has reimagined how to deliver DD Days in 2022! Choose one of the following grassroots advocacy approaches to connect with your legislators during the weeks listed above.
Choose one of the following Grassroots Advocacy Approaches to connect with your legislators during the weeks listed above:
1. Call and request a Zoom Meeting with your Legislators to share your personal testimony and the Arc of Virginia’s Legislative Agenda Priorities.
When participating in a TAA advocacy event or activity, remember that you are representing the TAA.
When representing the TAA, do not ask your legislator to vote “Yes” or “No” on specific bills. This can be misinterpreted as *lobbying.
Rather, use terms like “I support” or “I oppose”.
*If you are meeting or speaking with your legislator as a individual you may ask them to vote “Yes” or “No”.
2. Chose to participate in either the Email or Letter-Writing Campaign. Templates on how to write an effective advocacy letter and the campaign dates for TAA regional campaign dates are located on the TAA webpage.
3. Participate in Phone Calling Campaign. Call and schedule an appointment to speak to your Legislator or Legislative Aide and share your personal testimony and concerns.
4. Participate in the Arc of Virginia’s District Constituent Meetings using the Tool Kit (link and dates will be shared on the TAA webpage).
5. Participate in Public Comment. Visit Virginia Regulatory Town Hall website to find a government agency and a regulation to provide electronic public comment. Health and Human Resources, Education and Transportation are 3 recommended agencies.
We need all Alumni to participate in DD Advocacy Weeks!
Complete the registration by Monday, January 4, 2022
The Arc of VA’s Developmental Disability 2022 Legislative Agenda
Appendix K Permanent Parent Pay
Access to Services
Access to Technology
Criminal Justice Accommodations
Arc of VA Advocacy Toolkit coming soon
DD WEEKS SUBCOMMITTEE MEMBERS:
Ms. Kennedy Rose, Co-Chair,
Ms. Ronita Wilson, Co-Chair,
Ms. Marlo Dean, TARC Alumni, Co-Editor
Ms. Crystal Higgins, NoVA Alumni,
Ms. Catherine Childers, SWA Alumni,
Member At Large
Ms. Aryn Gentry, CVA Alumni
Mr. Joshua Parker, TARC Alumni
Ms. Sara Stachkunas, NoVA Alumni
Ms. Debbie Stachkunas, NoVA Alumni
Mr. Corey Weisman, NoVA Alumni